Foundation / Corporation
Fellowships with an award of $60,000 to USA and Puerto Rico female postdoctoral scientists who have contributed to the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields and a demonstrated commitment to serving as role models for youth. Consideration is given to talented applicants from diverse STEM fields, representing leading academic institutions and laboratories.
Applicants must be involved in the life, physical/material sciences, engineering, technology, computer science and/or mathematics fields. Additional eligible areas of study include: immunology, all areas of chemistry, earth science, and medical research. Psychology, science education, and social science are not eligible for this Fellowship.
The award is intended to support the applicant’s research project and provide career advancement. Fellowship funds should be used to support tuition fees, attendance at meetings and conferences, laboratory supplies, publications costs, computer and technical support, equipment and instruments.
Selected winners must commit to at least twenty hours of activity in support of women and girls in science (e.g. mentoring, classroom visits, media, events). Winning fellows will have one year from the awards ceremony to complete their twenty hours of service.
Please note that candidates must be available the week of October 22, 2018 for the For Women in Science Awards Week if chosen as a winning Fellow.
Candidates are evaluated for overall excellence with a focus on:
- Intellectual merit, academic records, and accepted requisites for scholarly scientific study
- Scientific excellence and appropriateness of proposed research
- Evidence of originality, initiative and productivity
- Ability to plan and conduct research either as a member of a team or independently
- Potential for career enhancement if awarded the fellowship
- Relevance of budget proposal ($60,000 in L'Oréal USA fellowship funding)
- Choice of host institution and department mentor
- Commitment to supporting women and girls in science.
GrantWatch ID#: 166788
The L’Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship program awards five women postdoctoral scientists annually with grants of $60,000 each.
Eligible applicants must commit to at least twenty hours of activity in support of women and girls in science (e.g. mentoring, classroom visits, media, events). Winning fellows will have one year from the awards ceremony (November 2019) to complete their twenty hours of service.
The L'Oréal USA For Women in Science fellowship award is effective for one year. Any extensions must be requested in writing and must be approved by L’Oréal USA and AAAS.
The fellowship is open to post-docs from the United States and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.
The eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Candidates with a conferred Ph.D., D.P.H., or Sc.D. are eligible to apply
- Must have started in a postdoctoral research position by February 1, 2019
- Must maintain the status of postdoctoral researcher throughout the fellowship year
- Must be American born, naturalized citizen or permanent resident
- Must be affiliated with a U.S. based academic or research institution
- Must plan to conduct their postdoctoral studies and research in the U.S.
- Must be involved in basic research in the life and physical/material sciences, engineering & technology, computer science and mathematics.
- Indirect or fringe costs including health insurance, rent, utilities, university overhead, etc. are not permitted.
- International travel for research collection purposes is acceptable, but the research must be primarily conducted or analyzed within the U.S.
- Applicants who hold faculty positions are not eligible.
- Psychology, science education and social science are not eligible for this Fellowship.
Please note that “eligibility” refers to the proposed research – not necessarily the candidate’s degree or department. For example, a candidate with a PhD in Psychology (an ineligible field) who is proposing research in Neuroscience (an eligible field) is eligible to apply.
Completed applications are due no later than February 1, 2019. Award will be announced October 2019. Fellowship funds will be available for use beginning on the day of the Awards Ceremony in November 2019.
A completed application requires three letters of recommendation. The first letter must be from a mentor or former advisor. The second letter must be from the post-doctoral advisor. The third lettermay be from someone of the applicant's choice. Mailed letters must be postmarked by Friday, February 1, 2019.
To ensure that the candidates who are selected represent scientific excellence, the program utilizes a two-phased application review process. In the first round, applications are evaluated by experienced scientists in the candidates' respective fields. In the second round, a distinguished Jury of eminent scientists evaluates the top-ranked candidates and selects the five winners.
- Please note that candidates must be available the week of November 4, 2019 for the For Women in Science Awards Week if chosen as a winning Fellow.
- Applicants may allocate up to 10% of their total budget estimate for community service or outreach projects beyond the scope of their proposed research plan (e.g., hosting a science workshop for K12 students with a local outreach organization).
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Apply online: https://lorealfwis.aaas.org/login/indexA.cfm
Letters of recommendation can either be submitted electronically through the online application submission site (preferred) or can be mailed directly from all references to:
L'Oréal USA For Women in Science
Attn: Jennifer Carinci
1200 New York Avenue, NW
Washington, D.C. 20005
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: Puerto Rico (USA)